Sunday, February 21, 2010

Falafel - for the Middle East Taste Buds

Today being Sunday, I had nothing much to do..got up pretty late, had some quick fix lunch and was watching some movies. Gopan reminds me every now and then I am being a workaholic now-a-days.Ofcourse, thats not true! So I decided I wouldn't work today.By evening I was bored of being in bed full day long. It wouldn't be hard for you to believe that I even had my lunch in bed.

I thought I wanted to eat Kinnatappam today, called up Ann and she mentioned you may need to soak it for four hours.It was already 8.30 pm and so it was not worth the effort.I wanted to keep myself busy and so thought of something simple to make.

All of a sudden, Falafel came to my mind.I had been thinking of making it for so long.So this is the day.Falafel is a famous appetizer you get in the middle eastern countries.Sabari & Sumi introduced it to me at a Greek resturant, when I visited them at Chicago.I love fried food and fell in love with it at the first time itself.Then I searched for resturants where we get this in Minneapolis as well.Ofcourse, I used to drag gopan every now and then to those.The famous one being Dynos Gyros - The Greek Place.

And now how to make it at home.

Ingredients
1.15oz can of Chick peas
2.Finely chopped Onions (1 no)
3.Finely Minced garlic (1 tsp)
4.Parsley or coriander (3 tsp)
5.Pepper powder(1 tsp)
6.Cumin powder(1 tsp)
7.Coriander Powder(1 tsp)
8.All Purpose Flour (3 tbsp)
9.Salt as required
10.Oil

Preparation
  • Pat dry the canned chick peas
  • Coarse grind the chick peas in to a mixture or mash it with a spoon.
  • Mix all the ingredients mentioned from 2-9
  • With the palm of your hand, make small balls out of it
  • Deep fry it in oil until golden brown
  • Serve it with Hummus or tomato sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment